- Every licensed estate agent and registered salesperson must act in accordance with the provisions of the Estate Agents Act 2010, the Estate Agents (Estate Agency Work) Regulations 2010 and the guidelines issued by the CEA.
- The Practice Guidelines on “Ethical Advertising” are to be read with the Code of Ethics and Professional Client Care. Non-compliance of the guideline may result in disciplinary action. Under paragraph 4 (2) (a) of the Code of Ethics and Professional Client Care , estate agents and salespersons must be fully conversant and comply with the Act, the regulations made under the Act, and the policies, practice circulars and guidelines of the Council.
- The Guidelines are issued in relation to the promotional publicity and advertisements put up by licensed estate agents and registered salespersons. Promotional publicity and advertisement refer to publications, classified ads, pamphlets or flyers, as well as website/internet posting, online advertising, short messaging services (SMS), social media etc.
- The Key Executive Officers (KEOs) have the responsibility to ensure the advertisements by their salespersons are in compliance with the regulatory requirements. Under paragraph 4 of the Code of Practice, estate agents are required to manage and supervise their salespersons to ensure that their salespersons comply with this practice guideline. Estate agents are also required to vet all publicity and advertising materials of their salespersons prior to publication.
- Estate Agents and salespersons are to comply with the Guidelines with effect from 1 August 2011.